Complaint - im stroked to be alive

Search
Go to content

Main menu:

Complaint

More Reading > Correspondence
{Read Response} My husband first experienced episode of lights/double vision/tingling lips, faintness and falling over, as well as headache, photophobia around Christmas. He developed a constant headache and had never had headaches previously. After several episodes of near fainting and the other sx, he saw his GP. Blood tests etc were done and he was prescribed antibiotics for suspected sinusitis. Blood tests and fasting glucose were fine. Over next few weeks headaches, visual probs continued. On returning from holiday he returned to see GP. I requested Gp organize CT scan. We decided to pay for our own CT scan at Pacific Radiology to speed up process as we were worried. CT result was normal. GP sent referral for MRI and outpatients consult at Hospital. 
On the Thursday 27th Jan my husband came inside, unable to walk, very faint, vision probs, headache, tingling lips. I called ambulance and told them I thought he was having a stroke. He was taken to Hosp although he was starting to improve. He had another episode of aura and tingling whilst in ED. Given med for headache. 

We told the Doctor we were afraid he was going to have a stroke. The Doctor said that "young people don't have strokes". I asked if he could have a more urgent MRI than the one planned for the 8th Feb. He said not unless we paid for it. My husband was prescribed Cafergot and we went home.
The following day- fri 28th Jan- I went directly to the MRI office and asked if they could bring my husbands MRI forward as I was so worried. She said she didn't realize it was urgent and brought it to the following Mon 31st Jan.
However on sun 30th, my husband woke with terrible headache, ataxic movements, couldn't reach for a drink and was trying to get the cafergot. His speech was affected, he was emotionally labile, confused. I called Ambulance- they appeared unsure what to do and my husband told them he didn't want to go to hospital. After they left, his condition deteriorated- confusion, unable to walk properly, decreased balance. Another ambulance was called- suspected stroke was their report to ED.
On arrival at ED I was told they didn't think he was presenting with stroke and they suspected viral encephalitis- despite not having an elevated temp. Lumbar puncture and blood tests also didn't show encephalitis. He was moved to an isolation room and masked prior to those tests. Over this time he became obviously hemiplegic, dysarthric and only able to speak out of left side of his mouth. He was shaking, sweating, breathing heavily.
At one stage a doctor asked me what I thought was going on. She later told me they were still considering hemiplegic migraine. The plan was to move him to a med ward. Whilst waiting for this, his breathing- which had been very noisy and snorting- became noisier, he seemed to lose consciousness. I called for a nurse and then they rushed him to Resus as he was seizing. A number of staff were present trying to stabilize him. At some stage another CT was done- again NAD. He was eventually moved to ICU in a critical condition. The MRI that I had booked, was performed the next morning. By then it was identified that he had suffered a massive brain stem stroke. 

My complaints involve 1. That the doctor who saw my husband on the Thursday in ED didn't make a decision to organize an urgent MRI in light of my husband’s symptoms-ie: a 48 year old male (we told him that he was a smoker, high cholesterol (8) and other risk factors, who had suddenly developed problems that were suggestive of some sort of ischaemic process. The doctor didn't seem to consider any possibility of TIA's or impending stroke.
2. That when my husband was seen again in the ED on the Sunday with acute collapse, he wasn't given an urgent MRI, or again treated for a suspected stroke despite the hx and the previous info from the Thursday admission to ED.
I need to know that the extent of my husband’s stroke or even that he had the stroke wasn't preventable if the ED doctors had made different decisions on his treatment, including urgent investigations. 
Would he have received different treatment if seen at a different hospital’s Neurology dept on the sun?
Could he have had an urgent MRI on the friday that may have seen the evidence of TIA's and started treatment that may have prevented the major stroke.
Could an MRI on the sunday prevented the extent of the damage and led to a diagnosis that day instead of the following monday-which was around 24 hours following his collapse.
I am aware of the rarity of a brainstem stroke but want the Medical staff involved on both the Thursday and the Sunday to review their assessment and treatment of a patient with this kind of hx so it could possibly be prevented or lessened for someone else in the future.
I also hope that medical staff do consider a family member's suspicions regarding diagnosis- in my case that I suspected my husband may be going to have a stroke. 
{Read Response}

 
Back to content | Back to main menu